Decatur Makers is Hiring: Executive Director
Decatur Makers, an inclusive nonprofit community makerspace located in downtown Decatur, GA is seeking an Executive Director.
Irm Diorio, our esteemed Executive Director of Decatur Makers announced her retirement effective June 30, 2022. A search committee composed of members of the Board of Directors, members of the makerspace, and various external stakeholders have begun a search and hiring process to find the right person to lead Decatur Makers into this exciting new season of growth and transformation.
Our Vision: Everyone Empowered to Make Anything
Our Mission: Empowering a community of creatives, builders and (life-long) learners
Decatur Maker is a welcoming, all-ages non-profit makerspace with a mission of empowering a community of creatives, builders and learners.
Founded in 2013, Decatur Makers has grown into a valuable resource that directly addresses educational needs, builds community, and fosters economic opportunities for people of all ages, skill sets, and backgrounds through our programs. They include a makerspace, classes and free events open to the public, youth and teacher maker education outreach, and building solutions for our community partners. In our 3,000 square foot space, we have a wood shop, metal shop, computer lab, electronics shop, arts & crafts area, 3D printers and more all under one roof where experts and novices of all ages get hands-on, celebrating and learning from mistakes, to build, innovate, and explore ideas.
As of early 2020 (pre-Covid), our membership had grown to over 400 paying members and our reach is so much more. Through all of our programs and our many partnerships with organizations in the community, Decatur Makers has positively impacted thousands of people of all-ages in the larger mero-Atlanta area. We need someone to inspire and lead us into our next phase of growth.
Executive Director job responsibilities:
- Working with the board, membership, and larger community to execute strategic goals of the organization
- Ensuring a positive culture that prioritizes Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion for the membership, staff, board, and broader community
- Managing staff (e.g. Makerspace Manager and Manager of Youth Programming and Outreach)
- Fundraising, donor engagement, and resource development
- Fostering strategic community partnerships
- Developing effective programs that align with the organization’s mission
- Providing accountability for organizational operations, financial management, marketing and communications, volunteer coordination, educational outreach
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- 2 or more years of leadership experience in a related field (eg. STEAM education, nonprofit management, etc.)
- Experience doing team building with a DEI lens
- Experience working in an innovative, creative, and interdisciplinary context.
- Enthusiasm for exploring, a willingness to take risks and learn from mistakes.
- A dedication to making a positive difference in the world and fulfilling the mission of the organization
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Proven Experience in Fundraising
- Strong Communications Skills
- Salary range $65,000 – $75,000 depending on experience
- Benefits package under development
- Our engaged board recently completed a professionally-led 3 year strategic plan that is structured around these four high level goals:
- Sustain and Grow a Diverse Organization
- Improve Internal and External Communications
- Define an Effective Infrastructure and Operations Model
- Provide Relevant Training
- To apply, please provide a cover letter and resume using this form https://bit.ly/3AfGgiu by February 18 for earliest consideration. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Decatur Makers provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
If you have any questions about this position, please contact: