Get ready to unleash your inner creative genius as we celebrate our Grand Opening on May 6 from 1-6:00pm and see demos and projects from our members, get tours, and learn more about what we’re doing in the community. You’ll also get hands-on with lots of DIY builds, so bring the whole family to Build, Share and Explore the wonderful world of making with us.
Did we mention that we are lucky enough to have Decatur Mayor, Patti Garrett, in the space to help cut our ribbon?! Ribbon Cutting Ceremony will be at 4:00pm, but it won’t be your usual big scissors event. You’ll have to see it to believe it!
In case you haven’t been to our space, we’re at 605 W. Ponce de Leon Avenue behind the First Christian Church (we share the same parking lot) and across the street from the downtown Decatur post office. It’ll be a beautiful day on Saturday, so we’ll be outside; You won’t be able to miss us!
Check back here for updates on our schedule!
Hands-on Maker projects:
- Solder a circuit on our Blinkie Bots
- Add your mark on our Communal Art tree
- Print Your Own Tshirt (thanks to our good friends at Worldwide Shirts)
- Make and take your own buttons
- Try your hand at blacksmithing
- Build a table-top LED lantern
- Use our hotwire styrofoam cutter
- Blast into virtual reality on our Rocket Ship
- Play with our Giant Jenga, Super-sized SOMA Cubes, and Beat the Buzzer
- Spin your own art with our Super Spirograph
- Get creative with our piles of Legos and accessories
- Be spontaneous with our Random Poem Box
Schedule of demos/tours by some of our members:
- 1:00 = Laser Engraver + Vinyl Cutter
- 1:20 = 3D Printing
- 1:40 = Wood Shop + new maker-built large CNC
- 2:00 = Arduino and our amazing Electronics Shop
- 2:20 = Sewing, Textiles & Crafts
- 2:40 = State of the Art DIY Bio Lab
- 3:00 = Welding
- 1:30-3:30 = Ham Radio on-going demo
- 1:30-3:30 = Teen PC Build Club on-going demo
- 4:00 = Ribbon Cutting Ceremony
- 5:00 = General Space Tour
- 5:30 = General Space Tour
And we’ll have baskets full of fun raffle items including:
- two tickets to the Decatur Wine Festival (Thanks to the Decatur Arts Alliance!)
- two tickets to the Decatur Beer Festival (Thanks to the City of Decatur!)
- coffee and coffee mugs from the Dancing Goats
- $25 gift certificates to the Imperial
- Decatur Makers branded bottle-openers (Thanks to Brown Mfg. Company!)
- 3D printed baby Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy (Thanks to folks at BigBang!)
- Loads of cool tshirts
- A year subscription to MAKE magazine (print version)
- Kids STEM projects and games
- One month FREE membership to Decatur Makers
- Other maker-made goodies including jewelry, stained glass art, napkins, etc.
- and more…
Did we mention food? The Decatur High School Band will be there selling snacks and refreshments, and you’ll also see the King of Pops cart and umbrella selling their delicious cool treats.
Would you like to help out at our Grand Opening (the more hands the merrier)?
Please CLICK HERE to volunteer for a shift, which will still leave you time to have fun at the event. All ages welcome!
Tax refund $$ burning a hole in your pocket?
Why not be as happy as our Exec Director, Lew Lefton, and become a Decatur Makers Founding Member! Not only do you get a multi-year membership, you also get the warm and fuzzies because the cost covers a tax-deductible charitable gift to Decatur Makers. Plus you’ll get your name in lights on our Founders Wall which will be unveiled at the Grand Opening. Hurry! This offer ends as soon as we cut the ribbon! Click here for more info and to join.
PS: Thanks to the folks at betterbureau.us for creating our Grand Opening art! So maker festive!